Tax Appointment Checklist

What items do I need to file my taxes? Make sure you bring:

Whether you choose to have us prepare your tax return remotely with a Parker Tax Service , or you meet with a Parker Tax Service Professionals live in our tax office, here is a detailed list of items that will be important when we complete your tax return.

Call (215) 200-0306 today to schedule an appointment

Personal Information

  • Your driver’s license or other federal ID with picture
  • Your social security card with your number or tax ID number
  • Your spouse’s full name and social security number or tax ID number

Dependent(S) Information

  • Dates of birth and social security numbers or tax ID numbers
  • Childcare records (including the provider’s tax ID number) if applicable
  • Income of other adults in your home
  • Form 8332 showing that the child’s custodial parent is releasing their right to claim a child to you, the noncustodial parent (if applicable)

Income Sources

  • Employed
    • Forms W-2 or pay-stub for W-2 download
  • Unemployed
    • Unemployment income, state tax refund (1099-G)
  • Self-Employed
    • Forms 1099-MISC, Schedules K-1, income records to verify amounts not reported on 1099s
    • Records of all expenses – check registers or credit card statements, and receipts
    • Business-use asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
    • Office in home information, if applicable
    • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
    • Auto loan or lease if vehicle used for business
  • Rental Income
    • Records of income and expenses
    • Rental asset information (cost, date placed in service, etc.) for depreciation
    • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
  • Retirement Income
    • Pension or Retirement income/IRA/annuity income (1099-R)
    • Traditional IRA basis (i.e. amounts you contributed to the IRA that were already taxed)
    • Social security/RRB income (1099-SSA, RRB-1099)
  • Savings & Investments or Dividends
    • Interest, dividend income (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV)
    • Income from sales of stock or other property (1099-B, 1099-S)
    • Any cryptotax currency transaction information (purchase or redemption)
    • Dates of acquisition and records of your cost or other basis in property you sold (if basis is not reported on 1099-B)
    • Health Savings Account (HSA) and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC)
    • Health Savings Account (HSA) or Medical Savings Account (MSA) distributions – 1099-SA
    • Expenses related to your investments
    • Record of estimated tax payments made (Form 1040ES)
  • Other Income & Losses
    •  Lottery or Gambling income/losses (W-2G or records showing income, as well as expense records)
    •  Jury duty records
    •  Hobby income and expenses
    •  Prizes and awards
    •  Trusts
    •  Royalty Income 1099 Misc.
    •  Any other 1099s received
    •  Record of alimony paid/received with Ex-spouse’s name and SSN


  • Real Estate/Home Ownership
    • Forms 1098 or other mortgage interest statements
    • Real estate and personal property tax records
    • Receipts for energy-saving home improvements
    • Repayment of the First-Time Home-buyer Credit – Form 5405
    • All other 1098 series forms
  • Charitable Donations
    • Cash amounts donated to houses of worship, schools, other charitable organizations
    • Records of non-cash charitable donations
    • Amounts of miles driven for charitable or medical purposes
  • Medical Expenses
    • Amounts paid for healthcare insurance and to doctors, dentists, hospitals
  • Health Insurance
    • Form 1095-A if you enrolled in an insurance plan through the Marketplace (Exchange)
    • Form 1095-B and/or 1095-C if you had insurance coverage through any other source (i.e. an employer, insurance company, government health plan such as Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, TRICARE, VA, etc.)
    • Marketplace exemption certificate (ECN) if you applied for and received an exemption from the Marketplace (Exchange)
  • Childcare Expenses
    • Fees paid to a licensed day care center or family day care for care of an infant or preschooler.
    • Wages paid to a baby-sitter.
      Don’t include expenses paid through a flexible spending account at work.
  • Educational Expenses
    • Forms 1098-T from educational institutions
    • Receipts that itemize qualified educational expenses
    • Records of any scholarships or fellowships you received
    • Form1098-E if you paid student loan interest
  • Job Expenses & Tax Prep Fees
    • Employment related vehicle expenses (tolls, mileage, gas, maintenance, license, property tax, interest expense, parking)
    • Receipts for classroom expenses (for educators in grades K-12)
    • Employment-related expenses (dues, education, publications, tools, uniform cost and cleaning, travel)
    • Job-hunting expenses
    • Record of moving expenses not reimbursed by employer
    • Amount paid for preparation of last year’s tax return
  • State & Local Taxes or Sales Tax
    • Amount of state/local income tax paid (other than wage withholding), or amount of state and local sales tax paid
    • State refund amount – 1099-G
    • Invoice showing amount of vehicle sales tax paid
  • Retirement & Other Savings
    • Form 5498-SA showing HSA contributions
    • Form 5498 showing IRA contributions
    • All other 5498 series forms (5498-QA, 5498-ESA)
  • Federally Declared Disaster
    • City/county you lived/worked/had property in
    • Records to support property losses (appraisal, clean-up costs, etc.)
    • Records of rebuilding/repair costs
    • Insurance reimbursements/claims to be paid
    • FEMA assistance information
    • Check FEMA site to see if my county has been declared a federal disaster area
  • Last Year’s Federal and State Tax Returns

Days until April 17

Latest News

© Parker Tax Service 2021, 6703 Germantown Avenue, Suite 220, Philadelphia, PA 19119
T: (215) 200-0306 F: (267) 522-9749 E:

Connect: Facebook LinkedIn
Links: Search Site Map Privacy Policy Disclaimer
Powered by CPA Site Solutions   

Get In Touch

Subscribe to our Newsletter